IOF has published International Specification for Orienteering Maps 2000 (ISOM 2000) for mappers as a guidance. However, due to the special situation in Hong Kong, the Technical Committee on Mapping has made the following modification and interpretation on ISOM 2000 for mappers and orienteers. The committee welcomes any opinions and suggestions on this guideline.
1. Passable rock face(203) or Impassable cliff(201) should be used to represent stone-faced banks in front of graves.
2. Boulder(206), Large boulder(207), Boulder field(208), and Boulder cluster(209) should be enlarged by 10 % from the normal 1:15,000 size. The exact dimensions are as follows:
Boulder(206): Diameter 0.44 mm ;
Large boulder(207): Diameter 0.66 mm ;
Boulder field(208): Side Length 0.55 - 1.10 mm ;
Boulder cluster(209): Side Length 0.88 mm
3. In OCAD 7, all Brown 50% used in symbols should be replaced by Brown 60%.
4. a) All Yellow 50% used in symbols should be replaced by Yellow 40
b) If a map has less than 30 % of total area covered by Vegetation: very difficult to run, impassable(410), the intensity of Green 100%(solid colour) should refer to the colour bar given on the Legend 2000 of OAHK. Otherwise, a lighter Green 100%(solid colour)should be used. Please give a sample (refer to the colour bar in Kam Shan map OAHK reg. no. 04/99) to the printing firm when printing.
5. Grave can be represented in orienteering maps byGrave(532) if and only if in 'chair' form.
6. If a shrine is higher than 1 m, it should be represented by Building(527). Otherwise, it can be omitted.
7. Tracks 2-5 m wide and suitable for vehicles must be shown by Minor road(503),
Road(504), or Vehicle track(505). The details are as follows:
|Minor road(503): for roads completely paved;|
|Road(504): for roads which are well constructed and covered by stones or barks, chopstick roads, or roads suitable for motor vehicles in all weather;|
|Vehicle track(505): for poorly maintained or ruined tracks, which are suitable for vehicles only when travelling slowly.|
Note: The number enclosed in parentheses is the symbol number in ISOM 2000.
Prepared by Technical (Mapping) Committee, June 2000.